I get all sorts of questions. Can’t escape this. Where to get good harvesting scraper they ask my opinion.
Some of my readers ask me to recommend them a good scraper for nest harvesting. They called me asking whether I sell them or not.
My answer was no initially. But they insisted. One of them asked me what kind of scraper is the best as he had used many types before but all didn’t last. Some rusted, some easily bent, some don’t even last 1 harvesting season.
Another one insisted that I sell the scraper that I currently using to him as his reason was he has given up looking for scraper.
Another one says he can’t find in his area as all the Hardware shops around his place are selling those normal one for construction works which is for one time use only or could last one time use.
Well the most important thing of a good nests scraper is:
1) It must not contaminate the nests we harvest. Easily rusting scraper is definitely a NO. But most Hardware shops are selling those cheap ones that are easily rust.
2) It must not be too soft where it could bend easily.
3) It must make from high grade Stainless Steel and last many years to come.
4) The Stainless Steel material must be of high grade so that it works as a mirror to check eggs. Mirror finishing shine even without polish.
5) The handle must be soft and ergonomically designed for comfortable so that it wouldn’t strain your palm for harvesting at least 500 nests.
6) The grade of the stainless steel material must be at least equivalent to the fork and spoon that we commonly use. If it won’t rust in our kitchen it won’t rust in the Swiflet farm.
7) Sharpen both edge of the scraper with sharpening stone so that it could easily push into the gap between the nests and the planks. This make harvesting easy and it won’t damage the nests.
So make sure your scrapers have the above quality otherwise you ended up buying more scraper than mask every time you want to harvest.
I myself had gone thru all these, I had bought uncounted different types of scraper all giving problem until I found this one and now I have been using it for quite some time.
Since my readers had been pestering me to get them the scraper therefore I have brought in a few of them. For those who want it you may call me. 012-317 3811. ( Rm 20.00 each excluding postage)
Good Swiftlet Farming All! The Best is To Share!
firstname.lastname@example.org James 012-3173811 .